Denied Add /soak command to ExtCreationsPlus2

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Expipiplusone, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +778
    Minecraft Name: Expipiplusone

Suggestion: Add /soak and /soakall commands to ExtCreationsPlus2 that turn concrete powder into hard concrete.

Reason: ExtCreationsPlus2 players are waiting for new perks since ages: this would be a neat one, very similar to /smelt and /smeltall. According to vanilla mechanics, concrete powder turns into hard concrete whenever poured with water; however it's very painful and time consuming to manually do this, doublechest after doublechest; much alike to how painful it is to wait for furnaces to smelt stuff the "natural" way (above saving fuel).

Any Other Information: I guess that the [concrete powder -> hard concrete] functionality could just be added to the /smelt and /smeltall commands: but it wouldn't make a lot of sense, to be honest. Although the use (and maybe coding?) would be roughly the same, conceptually they are very different: one is done with water, the other with fire. So it wouldn't make a lot of sense to "smelt" something that, in game mechanics, actually turns into something else because of water.

Link To This Plugin/Is this a custom addition?: Not sure: (semi-technical question) does /smelt internally make use of furnace mechanics somehow, even indirectly; or does it just replace stuff in the inventory? In the latter case the same code could be very easily tweaked to do the same with this new command on concrete; while in the former case, I'm afraid, it would need to be a custom addition (but I'm not sure, I don't know whether there's already plugins for this).

P.S: I see that ExtCreationsPlus2 users, above the fact they no longer have /smelt and /smeltall countdowns (which is almost no advantage), can also use shulker boxes (unlike everyone else, if I didn't misunderstand); if this is the case, then I guess this new command could be added to ExtCreationsPlus as well (but I would still prefer a separate command, rather than a nonsense merge with smelt).

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    I don't like this, honestly. No sense in making this stuff stupidly easy to make when producing the solid version is very easily something there will be a market for.

3. LJKAzrael

LJKAzrael Freelancer | Ikigai
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +372
    -1 Stop making everything that is a potential market for labor into a feature. This is coming from someone who would benefit from this as I have the feature myself.

Hire someone or pay a little more.

4. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    I was going to reply that /smelt and /cnd are the same, but... no, I see why they are not: they are the same to whom uses the command; but they are not the same when taking into account potential labor. It would be dumb to outsource furnace control, but it definitely would not to outsource block placing/mining.
    I see the point, it's pretty reasonable. It might be enough for me to change my mind, actually XD I just didn't think of the labor aspect.

However, here's another point: I'm under the impression that massive amounts of concrete powder touching water and turning into hard concrete might be a source of lag comparable to gravel/sand falling; but I might be wrong, @JamieSinn should know better than me.
    If my impression turns out to be correct, then this command might be needed (for a different reason, though).
    If not, then I'll -1 my own suggestion XD (but, should this be the case, please do not lock the thread yet, just because I changed my mind: someone else might have something more to say - who knows, it was just three people thinking about it as of now)

5. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    Neither Jamie or I are aware of any reason these types of block updates would cause lag - it's the same principle as a semi-auto cocoa farm and yet those (even what we regard of massive) haven't been seen to cause noticeable server lag.

Of course theoretically it could if it was a large enough operation... but drinking too much water can kill you, yet we hardly use that as as reason not to drink water.

6. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    A well thought out suggestion. Counter points are absolutely valid as well.
    This is why I am glad we have such a wonderful admin team - to continue to take care of our playing needs.

7. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    I get what you say, but... then why is gravel/sand falling such a lag monster? What's happening differently? I'm curious as to the technical reason

8. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    Wild guess: is that because in gravel monsters you place gravel on top and it falls down for many blocks? If so, then a gravel block falling for a 1-block height creates much less lag (comparable to concrete/cocoa) than falling down for a 100 blocks height?
    [EDIT] no, wait: maybe the lag comes from the mining phase, where a whole column of blocks falls for any single block you mine below?

#8 Expipiplusone, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  9. JamieSinn

JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer

Ratings:
    +4,588
    Correct (on the latter)

The amount of physics events is the problem. Imagine having to compute hundreds of physics events at once, especially when you can break over 5 in a row before that first block event even starts. You now have 5x256 events - which are all entities. Repeat this 3-4 times per second? LAG.

Anywho, no need as Nicit said.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.