1.18 Map Migration: Town Migrations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ClarinetPhoenix, Dec 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,379
    As you guys are aware we are looking to facilitate a 1:1 transfer to an all new 1.18 generation map.
    If you are unfamiliar with the 1.18 changes I suggest checking it out here, I personally have found them rather exciting! :)
    https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Java_Edition_1.18

The reason we are looking to do a map migration is basically new generation, we want to take advantage of that, as well as the new world heights as well.
    In addition to new generation we will be seeing an increase of y levels, you will see y coordinates go as low as -64 and as high as 320. That's an additional 128 y levels. The potential for some massive new builds....I can see it now.

Now this thread here is to inform you guys how you will be transferring your current towns and builds to the new map.
    The intention here is to make sure no one gets screwed over and everyone has an ample chance to move what they want over to the new map.
    There is plenty of choice here, but you will need to follow the process to make it as painless as possible on me and on the GA's. This thread is hopefully to provide everyone with the information they will need to prepare and transfer your towns and builds to the new 1.18 map.
    You will not be required to pay for anything to transfer your new towns.

What is happening?:
    Currently the migration is planned for Match 27th, around 6pm EST.
    • You will not need to worry about submitting any applications for transfer prior to this downtime.
    • The town migrations will begin after we are live on both Main and MainNorth.
    • You do want to make sure your chest/town/block inventory is ready for transfer in the town before then.
      • Staff will be offering space in the staff Plots town for chest inventory transfer for those who need somewhere to store their things for transfer. This plottown will be ported over to the new Main during the downtime.
    • You can store things in your PV's and TB's for the migration if you want to immediately access some of your things.
    What happens after the downtime?:
    After the downtime the GA team and myself will be ready to process migration applications.
    • The exact time the apps will be accepted will be announced via Discord
    The Town Migration Process:
    To transfer your town you will be filling out an application that will be made just for this purpose.

General:
    This application will be used to claim your town "credit" for your current Main and MainNorth towns.
    Your town applications are your proof of purchase and ownership. You will need to grab those and have them ready.

Only towns from the current Main and MainNorth(May 2021 - present) can be transferred with this app.
    • This was never intended to be a period of free Archive town transfer from the pre-reset maps.
    • There are conflicts with the 1:1 transfer that present problems with allowing older archive towns coming in as a migrated town.
    You may only migrate towns that are currently under your legal or official ownership.
    • Official Ownership: You are the user who applied/transferred for the town and still owns it. You will be required to present the towns application.
    • Legal Ownership: You will need to present proof of a contract/agreement that you have purchased/been given the town in addition to the towns application.
    You may not use this application to make "new" towns that you don't currently own. If you wish to leave your old towns behind and purchase new towns then you will need to rank up and/or utilize the Additional Town Applications.
    Spawntowns will not need to apply to moved over and the land around spawn will be reserved for those spawntowns to be ported over as part of the map preparation.
    This application will be offered free-of-charge for at least 30 days. I will be reviewing the situation as we get closer to the end to see if we should extend it or not.
    After this period is cut-off we will likely revert to the Archive World Edit Application in which all town transfers will be subject to the app rules and cost at that point.
    Regions:
    • You will have a choice to migrate just the town region to a new spot on the 1.18 map, and you can choose to leave your build behind or bring it with you.
    • If you do choose to bring a build over there will be further instructions for how to prepare your town for a WE build transfer.
    • You may not choose a new name for a town being migrated over. The town name must be the same as the previous.
      You will be able to choose where to place your new town on the new map. You will be including these coords in the app, much like other town apps.
    • Plots and other sub regions will not transfer with your region.
    • Flags will not transfer with your region.
      • Flags and plots simply cannot be ported automatically and it is simply a huge undertaking for us to attempt to rebuild your town setup for you.
      • The GA's and myself will be setting chest-access flags when we set the towns to prevent the inconvenience of theft.
    • You may not change the town size.
    • We WILL be holding in reserve town names that have already been purchased on the current Main and MainNorth servers for the free-transfer period.
      • This means if you are applying for a new town and not transferring one over then you may not steal another towns name during this period.
    Town Features:
    Any and all town features you have currently purchased(Warps, Portals, PvP Zones etc), they will not be transferred automatically - but you will retain them as credit. The application you have for them is your proof of purchase for these features.
    • You can reclaim your town features for that town afterwards, when you are ready.
      • Since some people will be settling at new locations for their towns we will be taking note of that and offer essentially relocations for those features once you are settled.
    • We will be utilizing the town feature relocation apps with additional fields to facilitate relocation requests.
    • Legal owners with a contract for an official town may use this documentation to apply for town feature migrations.
    • Heal Signs are one feature that does not have a relocation app, these will be handled by contacting the GA+ team to request a relocation on the new map.
    Build Selections:
    • There are no restrictions on what kind of build you can bring over, this is a migration not a reset - this means farms are allowed.
    • To make things go smoother we will only be offering full-town-size WE selections.
      However you may choose specific y-levels to be copied over.
    • You will be specifying the lowest y level of your town build and then the highest, the build selection will be the 200x200 or so within those y levels.
    • You will be specifying which y-level you want to build pasted at on the new map.
    • Build selections will be pasted in from the bottom, so you will want to specify the new y-level from the bottom of your build. You will be providing a pasting coordinate on the new map.
    World Edit Specifics:
    • All blocks within your town selection will transfer over fine.
    • Mobs can transfer.
    • Player Heads and Headmaster heads will transfer.
    • Lecterns with books will transfer.
    • Anything in chests or other block inventory will transfer
    • Farm crops will transfer in their current state
    • Signs will keep their text and colors(including extcreations signs)
    Chest/Block Inventory:
    If you wish to transfer assets in chests/shulkers/barrels and the like then you need to choose to bring over a build with your town(s).
    • Town build selections will be the full town dimensions. (200x200 or what the size is).
    • Any chests/inventory within the build selection will move over.
    • Chest locks will not be moving over, you will need to set the chest-access flag on your town to protect your inventory.
    You will want to prepare your chest inventory beforehand. On archive we are likely going to be locking down inventory interactions with chests to prevent any pre-reset asset transfer. So you need to prepare your inventory beforehand.

For those who need it, since not everyone has tons of PV's or TB's;
    I am currently putting together a space specifically for users to be able to transfer their chest inventory over.
    It will be under the staff Plots town;
    Users will be able to request and be assigned a room, use shulkers if they wish and place their inventory in these chests to guarantee that it will be transferred over.
    On the other side you will be cmodified to the iron doors and allowed to access your things.

When you apply for your migration, first a GameAdmin will handle the region transfer. If this is all you are moving then you are done. They will do all the checks and then set your new region on the new 1.18 map
    If you are moving a build with the region then the GA's will set the region, then they will tag me to handle the World Edit build transfer.
    I likely will try to handle several pending build transfers in clusters, during the off-peak hours. You will need to allow up to a week for these build transfers to be ported over as I will pick the least disruptive times.

After your region and build is set, you may also start re-claiming your town features within the town.

If you have any questions feel free to post below.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    #1 ClarinetPhoenix, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  2. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    So I think I already know the answer to this question, but I assume mobs/animals within towns will not be transferred, correct?

3. Unnbearable

Unnbearable Slightly Bearable
    ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +171
    If we have towns on MN, can we region transfer them to Main?

4. OConner1279

OConner1279 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +624
    Hey Clar!

I currently own all four corners of main, and my plans for them (in particular ECC spawn & The obsidian box) we’re built around getting a corner plot.

Am I going to be able to keep that placement or not?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. Flamingforce

Flamingforce President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +115
    I can only open my TB once an hour so I want to wait as long as possible before loading it up with my tools so I can continue to use them now- will we be given notice in advance of the exact time we need to have all of our items stored by?

6. Perezosx

Perezosx President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +4
    What is the approx date and time this will happen? How long do we have to store our stuff away

7. Unnbearable

Unnbearable Slightly Bearable
    ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +171
    in discord andrew has said he will be waiting until the beginning of January so he can take some holiday time off.

8. Flamingforce

Flamingforce President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +115
    How will chest shops be affected by the transfer?

9. Jdawger

ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    This is not paranoia because I’m most likely going to use PVs and shulkers to hold my stuff, but how are we going to stop those who might attempt to loot freshly placed chests if we cannot log on the second the towns are replaced?

I know there are methods such as placing blocks on top of chests, but would it be out of the question to have GAs just slap on a chest-access deny flag on the town to prevent issues like this?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. communism1

communism1 Kingfish
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +355

+1 to admins putting a chest access deny flag on all towns which will be world-edited onto the new map. (Otherwise the block on chest might be the best thing to do before we have our towns world-edited over).

11. killrdarknes

killrdarknes The Final Act
    ECC Sponsor EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $93,445
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    To my current understanding , we will be applying chest-access=deny flags on regions created/placed.

#11 killrdarknes, Dec 24, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  12. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,379
    Apologies for the delay, as you all know its been Christmas and I've been taking some well deserved time off and catching up on my rest and in general just relaxing.

So lets start to tackle these:
    Correct, World Edit does not copy over mobs, just blocks and their data.

I don't think we will be allowing this.
    Your applications are credit to the towns that you purchased on a specific main, and there are town-name conflicts to consider as well, I know for example you own the same town name on both Main and MN, and to reduce forum logistics confusion and paperwork trails I don't want town names changing at all. This is also not a current possibility to migrate your towns from Main to MN and vice-versa, this is something we decided to not facilitate back when we released the Archive WE Transfer and shortly after re-launching the MN server.

We realistically cannot pre-reserve land, you would need to get your apps up with your necessary coords to get those spots if you want them.
    The good news is, your coords are already in your current apps, so if you want the same exact spots you don't need to pre-prepare the coords.
    Anyone with prime/precise placements of land they want to keep should take note of this.

Yes, as we get closer to the time we decide to do the migration everyone will be given ample warning to prepare.

No set date yet, sometime early-mid-Jan is our current roadmap, but it may change.
    You will likely have a week+ warning to prepare your things. We will see as we get closer.

Chestshops can be copied over 1:1 as they are, the locks will be gone and the signs may not work because the item ID's may change for any items with nbt data, so tools with enchants, lore'd items, colored items etc.
    This may result in you being unable to break or change said chestshops if this happens.
    If this happens;
    I will be prepared to set up a fast-track way to get ahold of the GA's to have your chestshops removed so you can reset them.
    The chests/signs and inventory themselves will be moved over as is.

On that note, market stations that have active rental time at the time we take the Mains down for migration will be moved over with spawn as they are.
    Spawn market stalls will continue to operate normally up until then.

All the GA's have at LEAST TownControlPlus, which means they have access to the chest-access flag. They will be setting it when they set the town. Granted this isn't a problem until you transfer a build in. I will personally be making sure that chest-access flags are set when I transfer builds in as part of my personal procedure.

There are a few other things that have occurred to me and the GA's/Staff over the past couple days that I will continue to update, decide and discuss here on this thread.
    We have some time before anything happens to address everyone's concerns.
    If there are any other concerns/questions, please feel free to post.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. oxwood2

oxwood2 Builder
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Would people placing land in say, some person's nation just to be a troll be punished as trolling?

14. communism1

communism1 Kingfish
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +355
    It would be kinda hard to prove malicious intent, though, but i'm sure if it was obvious it'd be trolling.

15. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,271
    I mean, I personally see it as stealing from an unlocked chest: legal, but people would think of you as an asshole.

Plus too, kind of hard to prove intention. What if said person wanted to be on the corner but couldn’t because they were taken quickly?

16. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,271
    Out of curiosity, is it possible to place the town boundaries and then port the build over later so long as we are within that ~month of free transfers? Just a hypothetical question I thought of.

17. socksforsupper

socksforsupper President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VII ⭐

Ratings:
    +84
    I'd like to find a new area/biome with the new map. Is it possible to apply to just have chests moved to a new location, rather than copying a whole town over?
    I could have all the chest set in one location so it's just a small chunk to move.

18. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,271
    I don’t think that is possible with what was announced and what people are doing, but I am more than happy to place chests for you in a town that I am porting the build over to the new world

19. socksforsupper

socksforsupper President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VII ⭐

Ratings:
    +84
    Thank you, that is very sweet :)

20. patros25

patros25 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

Ratings:
    +4
    Call me dumb if this has been answered already, but, all the inventory in chests will be copied/migrated over to the new regions? So we only need to take stuff that we need immediately?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.