Collecting Proper Evidence
Whether you are conducting a transaction or filing a complaint, it is important to have proper evidence of your transactions, or allegations. Even though there is a record of everything that happens on EcoCityCraft, it is your responsibility to collect appropriate evidence of your economic dealings, for your own protection from unfair allegations, or to file complaints of incomplete agreements. It is also your responsibility to collect evidence if you are filing an abuse complaint about another user. (See Economy Rules). Any attempt to submit altered or falsified evidence will be punished severely by the server. When filing a complaint, you need evidence to support your claim. Only when appropriate evidence is presented, will moderators investigate the situation.
For economic transactions, there are two portions of evidence you need to have:
- Evidence of an agreement (aka contract), whether it be in-game or on the forum
- Evidence that you completed your part of the agreement
- 1 Good Screenshot Evidence
- 2 Example Situations
- 2.1 Plot/Home Purchase
- 2.2 Evictions, Perm Removals, LWC removals
- 2.3 Item Trade
- 2.4 Services
- 2.5 Loans
- 2.6 Shop Feature Buying/Selling
- 2.7 In-Game Abuse/Harassment
- 2.8 In-Game Rule Illegal killing
- 2.9 Hacking
- 2.10 Complaints of Staff Members
Good Screenshot Evidence
Though it is always best to have as much evidence as possible, there are a few important features make some screenshots good evidence. (See how to take screenshots).
Screenshot evidence on EcoCityCraft will only be accepted from the Minecraft game client. Even though you are allowed to use chat clients like Minechat to participate in ECC in-game chat, screenshots from such clients will not be considered as proper evidence. Additionally, screenshots or text from any type of chat logger are not acceptable as evidence. Also, screenshots of skype conversations are not admissible as evidence.
Entire Minecraft Window
Screenshots of Minecraft should be of the entire Minecraft window. Minecraft itself can take screenshots (How to take screenshots) -- but if for some reason you are unable to take screenshots using Minecraft, there are ways on PC's and Mac's to take screenshots of the entire Minecraft window (Read Non-minecraft screenshots).
When using screenshots as evidence, you must not crop or alter the image in any way. The screenshot must be whole. Even if the use is for a simple chat abuse complaint or evidence of a payment, the screenshot needs to be of the entire minecraft client.
The best screenshot evidence you can have should have a timestamp. The timestamp helps us know when something took place, and helps staff investigate events. In Minecraft, after a screenshot is taken, a timestamp will be shown in the chat window. If you then take a second screenshot in Minecraft, the second picture now has the timestamp of the first screenshot, and you may use the second screenshot as evidence. See how to take screenshots.
Example of what a timestamp looks like in the chat window:
Many users now have the feature Nickname[+]. This can cause problems when collecting good evidence as the user may not be easily identifiable by their nickname if it is not similar to their IGN. Similarly, it is good practice to check a user's nickname before trading to make sure that the user is not attempting to impersonate another player. In order to check this, use the command /realname <username> . Or you can do /realname * which will show you the nicknames of all players who currently have a nickname. In order to collect sufficient evidence of this, please ensure that your screenshot has a timestamp. If the player is using vanish, simply state that on the complaint (you will need a timestamp somewhere so it can be seen when this happened and the user of the nickname can be found).
The screenshot will need to be of the entire minecraft window, however this is an example of what you need to ensure is included:
Here are some example situations of where you should collect evidence, and what you should do.
When purchasing a plot or a home, it can be important to gather evidence of the purchase for both the buyer and the seller.
As a buyer, if you are wrongfully removed from a town, you can use evidence of the agreement and purchase to prove that you lived there.
As a seller, if you have special town rules that a resident has broken and you wish to immediately evict them, you would not only need proof of the broken town rule, but proof that the resident was aware of the town rule that was broken (See rules). You can do these agreements and affirmations in forum contracts and town threads as well.
Example of an in-game plot plot purchase
In this example, one person is selling a plot to another person.
Nicit6: I shall sell ClarinetPhoenix a 10x10 plot in the town of Hawkeytown for $1000.
ClarinetPhoenix: I agree.
- ClarinetPhoenix then pays Nicit6. Both Nicit6 and ClarinetPhoenix can screenshot the agreement and payment with timestamps.
- Additionally, once added to the town /rg i permission list, ClarinetPhoenix can screenshot the list as proof that she lived there, in the event there is a problem.
Evictions, Perm Removals, LWC removals
Though there are exceptions (see rules), evictions or perm removals from a town can require that a town mayor issue an eviction notice before they can actually remove a resident from the town permission list. This is so that the resident has time to remove his/her belongings in locked items (chests, furnaces) and remove blocks for any structure the resident built (if the home is a pre-built, the resident does not have the right to remove or damage the pre-built). If the resident has a forum account, the mayor can issue an eviction and lwc notice on the forum, either in a town thread or by forum PM. If the resident does not have a forum account however, the mayor will need to issue a proper eviction notice in game by a pm or in-game mail.
Example eviction by forum thread
- When Nicit6 files a LWC removal, he can simply link to this post.
- If ClarinetPhoenix files a complaint on Nicit6 for town removal after the notice period, Nicit6 has evidence that he provided notification.
Example eviction by in-game mail
Sending notice by in-game mail simply requires you to screenshot the mail confirmation and include a timestamp.
/mail send IGoBeyond You are being evicted from Hawkeytown. You have 3 days to remove your items.
- Send the notice, and make sure you receive the "Mail sent" confirmation from the server.
- Then double screenshot again for the timestamp on the message sent confirmation.
Example eviction by region mail command
The /mailregion command can be used to evict all members from a region. This works exactly as evicting by mail normally does. This eviction will count for all members listed as recipents of the mail/
Whether you're buying or selling, renting or sharing something, it is important to gather proper evidence of the agreement, and gather evidence that you have fulfilled your part of the trade agreement. You can always form a contract on the forum to save yourself a step, especially for more complicated agreements like trades that have payment periods, rentals, or shared use of a tool.
Note: A trade advertisement is not evidence of an agreement. When responding to an advertisement, you still need to form an actual agreement with the individual you are buying from or selling to.
Example of Item Trade
In this example, a person is advertising an item in trade chat.
[Tr] Nicit6: Selling a pumpkin axe- eff5, ubr3, silk- for 10k
- ClarinetPhoenix may see this and choose to pm Nicit6 for the item.
ClarinetPhoenix: I would like to purchase it.
- Now, Nicit6 and ClarinetPhoenix need to form an agreement between them, being sure to include details about the enchantments for the item, so there is no confusion.
Nicit6: I will give ClarinetPhoenix a diamond pumpkin axe (eff5 ubr3 silk) once I receive 10k. Do you agree?
ClarinetPhoenix: Yes. I agree to pay 10k for the diamond pumpkin axe.
- Both Nicit6 and ClarinetPhoenix can screenshot the agreement with timestamps.
- ClarinetPhoenix can now send the payment to Nicit6, and screenshot the payment confirmation as proof that she completed her end of the agreement.
- It is now important that Nicit6 give the pumpkin axe to ClarinetPhoenix, and screenshot this process. This will act as protection in case there is a problem.
- Please read how to safely transfer an item to another person.
Item Rental or Sharing
When renting or sharing items, it is very important to address several things in a contract. It may be best to form a contract on the forum, but you could make one in game as well.
A rental or loan contract can cover the following details:
- Who owns the item that is being rented or shared
- What the item is (detailed stats) (does it have a name attached to it?)
- Who it is being rented or shared with
- The duration that the item is being rented or shared for
- How much is to be paid for the rental duration
- Is the payment total, up front? Or is there a down payment, and an amount to be paid when the item is returned?
- When to return the item (and if there is a specific location, like a chest, to return it to)
- What are the consequences if the item is not returned (late fees, or in case of loss or destruction, how much should be reimbursed)
- Agreement by the owner of the item and agreement by the person renting/sharing the item
Once a proper contract is made, the person taking out the item can make payments if necessary to the owner and screenshot this. The owner should then make the item available to the renter, and gather screenshots detailing that the item has been made available.
- Please read how to safely transfer an item to another person.
Though it may seem over-complicated, it is actually very important to make an actual agreement when asking someone for a service like an item repair or anvil combination/renaming.
In this example, Nicit6 sees someone advertising an enchanted tool repair (erepair) in chat:
[Tr] ClarinetPhoenix: Selling erep, $500.
- Nicit6 sees this, and contacts ClarinetPhoenix.
Nicit6: I would like to get an erep.
- Nicit6 and ClarinetPhoenix should figure how to meet up.
- They need to make a contract for the erepair.
Nicit6: I will give ClarinetPhoenix $500, to repair my eff1 diamond pickaxe and then return it to me. Do you agree?
- Nicit6 and ClarinetPhoenix can screenshot this contract with timestamps.
- Nicit6 can then send payment to ClarinetPhoenix.
- Both of them should screenshot the payment with timestamps.
- They can now uses a safe item transaction method (using a locked chest) to give the item to ClarinetPhoenix for the erepair.
- Nicit6 should thorougly screenshot the process of giving the item to ClarinetPhoenix, and ClarinetPhoenix should thoroughly screenshot the process of repairing the item, and giving it back to Nicit6.
- Please read How to Safely Give an item to another player.
User-User loans are transactions that occur daily on EcoCityCraft. Loans can range from small (5k) to large loans (over 100k). Remember to lend money only to trusted users or users you personally trust. Scams will happen, and you need to make sure you have the proper evidence when something like this may pop up. We will need the following evidence when dealing with a complaint:
- A screenshot of the on the amount that will be loaned.
- Ex: "I will lend you 20k."
- A screenshot of the amount that will be paid back.
- Ex: "I would like 30k back."
- A screenshot of the time allotted to pay back the loan. **Be sure to include a time-stamp!**
- Ex: "Please pay back 30k by Monday."
- A screenshot of the other user agreeing.
- Ex: "I will pay back the 30k by Monday."
- A screenshot of the payment being sent over.
- Ex: "$20000 has been sent to _____."
Shop Feature Buying/Selling
You should only purchase special features from trusted users or users you personally trust. The safest way to ensure that you will not get scammed is to purchase using your own money. Whenever someone has purchased a special feature for you, always ask them to send you the transaction ID through the forum. We will need the following screenshots when dealing with a complaint:
- A screenshot of the user offering to sell the special feature.
- Ex: "I can sell you a pet for 75k."
- A screenshot of you agreeing to the transaction
- Ex: "Sure, I'll buy it."
- A screenshot of you paying the user
- Ex: "$75000 has been sent to _____."
- A screenshot of you not being able to use the special feature. (optional)
- No special feature medal or and error message when trying to use the special feature. Special feature medals are updated automatically, so make sure you check for a medal on your forum profile after purchase (if applicable).
If you see in-game rule breaking or chat abuse that is not attended to by moderators, you can file a complaint to report it. Whether it is in a private message, party chat, an sg game, a local area, or a town chat channel, you may want to file a complaint.
Be sure to screenshot the abuse/harassment with timestamps.
In-Game Rule Illegal killing
Killing of other players is only allowed in PVP enabled zones (Nether World, PVP World, Town PVP Arenas...). Sometimes people may try to kill someone in non-pvp areas, or kill them by illegally teleporting them into a PVP zone. This constitutes as harassment (See rules). These things are unfortunate and not always easy to anticipate.
If you file a complaint, you should try to include the following information:
- Location of the killing.
- The time of the killing (timestamp).
- Screenshot of the deathscreen.
- If you can, screenshot the person as they are illegally attempting to kill you.
- When receiving a teleport from someone (especially someone you don't know), store your valuables in locked chests beforehand.
- Before you accept a teleport, you can to activate the debug screen by pressing F3. This will show your coordinates. If you are killed, you can screenshot the deathscreen with timestamps, and the debug screen information should also be there.
If you believe someone is hacking, you should gather as much evidence as possible and post a complaint on the forums. You may want to gather video recorded evidence of suspected hacking to post in a complaint. In any event, it is not good to talk about or accuse people of hacking in game or on the forums, as that would constitute harassment. Proper complaints with evidence will be scrutinized and investigated by EcoCityCraft staff.