Denied [Website & Forums Suggestion] No advertising on other people's threads

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FuryFudge, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuryFudge

FuryFudge IDK ask Fury
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,325
    In Game Name:
    FuryFudge
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Website & Forums
    Short title for your suggestion:
    No advertising on other people's threads
    What are you suggesting:
    I think that there should be a rule on the forums where Player A is not allowed to advertise their products/services on Player B's thread advertising their own products/services.
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    There is no need to advertise on someone else's thread. That is why you should have/create your own thread.
    Other information:
    N/A
    Plugin or custom addition:
    N/A
    One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

2. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    Not sure why you feel this is necessary - I have seen very little of this in the almost 6 years of being here. Yes, it does happen at times, however, for the most part the "intruder" is simply ignored by all.
    If this is an issue between yourself and another player, harassment can be dealt with individually by rules already in place.
    tl:dr Please no new rules :p

3. FuryFudge

FuryFudge IDK ask Fury

Ratings:
    +2,325
    Completely agree with this, it doesn't happen very often and usually the person is just ignored. However it is also a change that will only be positive and will take almost no time at all to implement and since it happens so infrequently already, shouldn't take up too much of staff member's time. It wasn't the result of an issue that I had personally. Thanks for your comment!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #3 FuryFudge, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  4. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    I'd rather let the free market regulate this than implement a rule. Vote with your wallet and don't deal with businesses/individuals that utilize this tactic.

5. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    I am assuming it would be considered "bad form" or inappropriate for me to post I have many items for sale in skyblock here?
    :p :D :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,302
    "There is to be no trolling, harassing, or attempts at annoying / prodding another user into breaking the rules or to a point where they feel uncomfortable/necessary to get staff involved. Should staff deem your post trolling or harassment, you will immediately receive a forum warning and possibly a forum tempban."

Any rules that such an action would violate would already be covered by the rules quoted above. And considering that the posts you're probably referring to were already deleted, rules are clearly being enforced for this.

If we start making new rules every time someone does something stupid, the rules themselves will become pointless as no one reads overly long rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. FuryFudge

FuryFudge IDK ask Fury

Ratings:
    +2,325
    But then again if it isn't explicitly stated in the rules, people can interpret it differently and have a viable excuse for their behaviour as it "wasn't in the rules". I think it wouldn't be that big of a deal to add it to the forum rules, the forum rules are not overly long yet.

Also, by leaving it up to staff discretion it once again becomes the individual's interpretation of the rules that governs what gets deleted/accepted. I find it interesting that the post that sparked this suggestion being made got deleted when a while back I posted an ad on a staff member's thread (which I now realize I shouldn't have), which got deleted by that staff member. But when I told an admin about the fact that my post got deleted when it broke no explicit forum rules, that staff member got a warning to not abuse their power. So the rule you quoted seems to be completely subjective based on the staff member handling it. Which is why I think that even if the rules are long, they are at least clear and the staff have a non-subjective reason for deleting those kinds of posts.

#7 FuryFudge, Jan 15, 2019
  8. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder

Ratings:
    +6,302
    Then that's their fault. If you can't realize that advertising on someone else's thread is inappropriate behavior, that's totally on you. And it isn't like you get an instant forum ban for breaking such rules either - Your post gets deleted. If you're genuinely unaware of such rules, then you'll see your post deleted and think "Oh well, guess I can't do that". Obviously trolls have always tried to rule-lawyer their way out of things, but we have rules against that too.

That's how moderation works, though. The reason why we're selective about staff picks is because a moderator's judgement matters just as much, if not arguably even more, as whatever the rules say. It's largely up to the staff member at hand to determine what "trolling" or "harassment" is and there's generally a consensus among staff (and normal users) about it. And, again, it seems rather clear that advertising on someone's thread is just trolling.

I've been on staff for four times (and a GA 3 times) for a total time of a year by now and haven't ever heard of such an action being considered "abuse of power". Also talked to an SA about it as well, and she (who's been on staff for far longer) can't recall anything like that either - at least anything that was justified. So I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but now there seems to be at least a consensus that deleting such posts isn't "abuse of power", especially when we've been enforcing rules against derailing forum threads for literally more than half a decade. Worth also noting it was Andrew who preformed the action in this case, and, well, he's the boss.

And as far as "one more rule can't hurt" goes, you could say that about any useless rule. But aside from it being useless, where do we stop? And that's how you do get super long rules that no one reads.

#8 UnitedStates2, Jan 15, 2019
  9. FuryFudge

FuryFudge IDK ask Fury

Ratings:
    +2,325
    But by that logic should we not cut down on all of the rules we have already? If staff judgement is just as important as the rules, why do we have such long rules right now? But it doesn't matter that much, I am just of the opinion that the clearer the rules are the better and thought this would be a worthwhile clarification.

(Also I can add you to the forum conversation about said incident, which you seem to doubt happened, if you really want to know what I am talking about)

10. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder

Ratings:
    +6,302
    We probably should cut back on the rules and if you look at past suggestions made/their discussion, I've been supportive of that for years (Nicit even made a suggestion a while back in mid to late 2016 that would replace the current rules with far more simple ones written by him, Dewsy and myself). So you're not wrong there. But even with rules as-is, why make it even more long/needlessly complex? Just because rules may be less than ideal doesn't mean you need to make them worse.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I have no reason not to believe you - Rather just that occasionally staff can make mistakes, miscommunications happen, etc. (and past SA does remember something along those lines happening but was due to misunderstandings regarding the rules, hence "justified"). And if communication is the problem, that on its own can be easily solved by simply having Andrew notify the staff-team that you ought to delete such posts - No rule change at all there!

11. FuryFudge

FuryFudge IDK ask Fury

Ratings:
    +2,325
    Sounds good. Well, thanks for the discussion!

12. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.