[Suggestion] Rule change?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by RealRunakilli, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealRunakilli

RealRunakilli Formerly known as runakilli
    EcoMaster ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +475
    Minecraft Name: runakilli

Suggestion: Change the vulgarity rule.

Reason: People are getting warned for saying a single swear word, such as Sonny earlier, he was griefed and said "shit" in chat. I brought it up, and was told different than the rules say.

Any Other Information:Either stop the warnings for these type of things, or change the rules, is what I think should happen.

Link To This Plugin:N/A

#1 RealRunakilli, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. RealRunakilli

Ratings:
    +475
    Also, mods, please do not take this in an offensive way. I would simply like things cleared up.

3. Jetscat

Jetscat Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +995
    We're currently revamping our entire Guidelines to follow when Moderating.

You shouldn't be getting warned for saying "Shit", "Damn", "Hell" etc. Unless excessive, and/or aggressively directed at someone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    #3 Jetscat, Aug 2, 2013
  4. RyanJF1

RyanJF1 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +951
    As Jetscat said, this is currently under discussion within the entire staff team. Please give us a few days to discuss this and sort everything out.

Thank you for your input. :)

5. brandbauer

brandbauer ℬeacon ℒegend
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +798
    It would be so much easier if users just learned how to say fudge, shoot, dang it, and heck. There really is no need for cursing. To me it just makes users sound immature.

Blowtube123

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Jetscat

Jetscat Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +995
    This is the internet.

People are going to come from communities where words such as these are acceptable, and assume they're accepted here. Which is why we want to clarify what's illegal, and what isn't.

7. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515

Yes, but there are kids here. Not all parents want their kids to hear and start using these words. Parents find out, and might have their kids leave. Such as someone's dad banned them from playing lotto. They may assume at first but they should and will probably learn to not use it.

Simply, warn for all cursing. It is never needed and not everyone wants to hear it. Lets face it, if nobody wants to hear curse words, than why allow one person to say it? And if builders see higher ranks they may assume it is legal which can lead to further problems. Cursing shouldn't happen and being >warned< for it should not be a big deal. I like warning for occasional slip ups because, well, if they aren't told to stop they could continue to curse more.

That's my opinion.

8. brandbauer

brandbauer ℬeacon ℒegend

Ratings:
    +798
    - Cuss Control Academy

Now think to yourself, "Is searing really worth it?"
    (This is my opinion, everyone has the right to think as they please.)

#8 brandbauer, Aug 2, 2013
  9. RealRunakilli

Ratings:
    +475
    This is the reason I am posting this suggestion, they already do warn for all swearing; but the rules say different than what the moderators are going by. I honestly don't care either way, as I don't usually swear in chat anyway. As for people who do in unfortunate situations, they get warned although the rules say it's allowed. I just want things cleared up.

10. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515

I was really just referring to the mod's side with that statement.

11. MsMoofin

MsMoofin (Don't) Paddle (the) Cow
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +829
    Most kids swear/curse nowadays, and most kids' parents don't know it. At around the age of 7 or 8, swearing starts to happen. It is all over school, TV, the Internet, and media... of which are already far, far, far less censored than ECC is.

We would lose just as many users for warning for all swearing. Considering that swearing is a big thing in this day and age, some people have trouble adjusting as it currently stands.

We lose one kid whose parent doesn't approve, or we lose one person who was warned for a few swears. It would equal out in the end.

For many people, swearing/cursing is a big part of their vocabulary - sometimes it is very difficult not to swear, but users are still trying their best. How would you like to be censored because you were raised differently (many are raised around a lot of swearing)? As well, countries outside of America don't tend to censor swearing very much, and some...not at all, really. We host many different types of people here.

Blowtube, that was likely written by a group of people who are extremely against swearing/cursing and located in America. As I mentioned above, we host people from around the world. We shouldn't be completely censoring people just because America is possibly the most against swearing/cursing. That is partially why we allow slip-ups and other forms of swearing/cursing, and are trying to find balance between what is allowed once in a while, and what is not.

What you quoted I could pick apart, and counter at least half of. I know many, many people, who swear commonly and often, and it has never effected them in most of those ways. Language evolves; and unfortunately or not, swearing/cursing has become a part of the evolution. Already adjusting to avoid the evolution is something noteworthy, I believe.

Don't take me wrong on any of this, though, guys. I am one who swears/curses all the time, but I never swear in the public of ECC, around users who I know do not like it, and around those who ask me not to swear/curse. I agree that children and kids shouldn't be seeing or learning it (I censored myself for many, many years due to my little siblings). However, it is very hard to completely censor something that is on the Internet and has cleaner language than most places, without losing people or making people feel like they lost any rights.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    #11 MsMoofin, Aug 2, 2013
  12. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515

The thing I like about this server is the good moderation. I hate cursing because it is not needed. It's not hard to lose vocabulary words or replace them with things such as blowtube said. You don't need to completely censor, just warn people not to. I'm afraid if we stop warning than "occasional slip-ups" will get out of hand. You control what you type, you can say it in your head but it is really important to share it with everyone? It doesn't have to be said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it." As for the "rights" thing, you are wrong. When you sign up for the forums or get a rank, you hereby agree to all the rules which makes you lose the freedom of speech. Its like any major game terms and conditions.

#12 AgentHare, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  13. brandbauer

brandbauer ℬeacon ℒegend

Ratings:
    +798
    All I am trying to say is, whether you like it or not their is no need to swear whatsoever on ECC. If you want to be here, find a way to stop yourself from swearing. By adding these rules to the Wiki, it is letting users know that these words are allowed, but are only warn able if said repeatedly. This rule would never last, as I have already seen users trying to abuse it. Also, I understand that saying a word like this can be a slip-up, but my question is how do you type the word without noticing that you are swearing? RE-READ YOUR MESSAGE. Lastly, I am a teenager who is 14 years old. I myself do not curse, I never have in front of my parents, relatives, friends or even when I am mad because it is pointless. If I can do it, you can too.

All around, I am against these new rules that may be applied. If anything stricter rules should be reinforced.

#13 brandbauer, Aug 3, 2013
  14. WreckitRalphed

WreckitRalphed The Wise Old Man

Ratings:
    +768
    Who gives a shit ...

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. WreckitRalphed

WreckitRalphed The Wise Old Man

Ratings:
    +768
    Not 1 shit was given

16. CordialBacon

CordialBacon Builder

Ratings:
    +284
    This is the internet. I myself have cursed before but on ECC I never use more than "Damn" usually, and typically only in a way such as "Damn you lol." when someone wins something like lottery etc., or in a way such as "Damn, that's a lot of iron". I wouldn't ever curse in front of my parents, but like I said, this is the internet. Personally, I don't find "Hell" to even be a curse word. I don't know why people call it one, I suppose I can see why people would be offended if they're particularly in to religion etc., but that's another discussion that doesn't belong here.

I can agree that I'd rather not have curse words on childrens screens and have them leave because their parents don't like it, but personally I don't too much care if it's just ONE word, it's one word. If chat really bothers you you can turn it off in multiplayer settings, or press f1 if you don't mind not seeing the hotbar. Also, we have the command /ignore <username> for a reason, if someone is saying something off-putting or said something off-putting, ignore them and move on.

As for slip-ups, they are slip-ups. They happen occasionally, it's life. I'm sure you've heard some slip-ups in real life as well, don't tell me you haven't unless you live under a rock. You can't prevent them, you can "Warn" people sure, but it annoys the said user and like Moofin said the amount of people leaving from the parents' choice and the amount of warned users fed up is around the same. If we often issued warnings for slip-ups we'd likely have people leaving, and in a bad way, such as continuously cursing just because they are mad, because they said "Shit" 3 separate times in one day and got warned because they got griefed etc..

TL;DR, We COULD warn people for every curse word, but it's not worth it in the end. It's life, someone said "Shit", okay, so what? One time, just one time. They slipped up, it likely was not "intentional" to make people uncomfortable, annoyed, or offended, they just couldn't think of a way to express their anger appropriately. I'd rather not see TONS of cursing in chat because someone got warned too many times and was fed up. If you don't want your child/sibling/etc/yourself to have cursing on their/your screen, disable chat. Or ignore anyone who does curse once or twice if you really don't want to see it.

17. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    I completely agree with this. How in the world can you look at this list and be like "Meh, Idc".

I don't want you to feel like I'm personally attacking anyone, since I'm not. But when it comes to swearing, it's a topic I'm going to put my foot down on. As always, I try to keep a rational and non-angry debate going. If you feel I'm doing otherwise, please contact me about it elsewhere.

#17 Intellectualist, Aug 3, 2013
  18. JokerBoss99

JokerBoss99 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +529
    Well this is exactly why I am honestly thinking about quitting EcoCityCraft. My eyes or any other persons eyes should not have to see that.
    My sister who is 5 learned a swear because of EcoCityCraft. I dont want her harmed or to learn those.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    Exactly.

20. RealRunakilli