[Suggestion] A new way to identify hackers!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Zecrux, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zecrux

Zecrux Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +74
    Hello,

I have found a new way and foolproof way to identify and punish people using hacked clients! Recently, I was playing another server (sorry for saying this I need to explain) and suddenly, there was a server announcement that told everybody to type ".hacktest" (the period is supposed to be there). This is a way to identify hackers. In a few very popular hacked clients, "." is used as a way to say a command to turn on a certain hack, instead of the normal "/". Basically, hackers cant say .hacktest in chat. The reason is, the period is used as a forward slash in hacked clients, and "hacktest" is not a valid command. Therefore, hackers are unable to say this in chat.

My proposal is that every week or so, at a random time, the server should make an announcement to have everybody on the server type ".hacktest", and maybe there could be a plugin or something, that would instaban anyone who did not say this in 25 seconds. Remember, it can't be too long of a time space allowed for users to say this, because a user could log out and then turn off their client. The only problem with this is, innocent users that are afk will be banned, and unsuspecting builders may be banned.

My second proposal, is that this identification tool is only used by mods, when they suspect someone is hacking, or when a user has told them that a user is hacking. For example. If I was in sg and I fought someone, and died, then next sg, I died by the same person again, and died from them a couple more times, I could tell a mod this and they could pm the person to type in global chat ".hacktest". The only thing that actually matters is the "." so a mod could ask the suspected user using a hacked client to say ".bananacream". If the user does not say in global ".bananacream" in the next 20-25 seconds, or if they log off, they will be instabanned. (the punishment can be made more mellow, this is just a suggestion) Finally, I believe this would work because mods could pm the message to the user multiple times and already be in a conversation with the user, then ask them to say ".whatever" in global in the middle of the conversation. AFK people won't have to worry because the mod will only do this to users who are currently engaged in a conversation with them. As for a user's minecraft crashes, the chances of this happening right when a mod pms the user, are slim to none. Also, if the user logs out after the mod has pmed them to say ".whatever" in global, they should be insta banned. Of course, there is a possibility of someone's minecraft actually crashing at this moment, and they can appeal online and plead innocent. Possibly they could provide some evidence of them being innocent of some sort, or if there isn't any other substantial evidence of the user hacking, then they are unbanned.

Implementing this new way to identify hackers into ECC would make sg more fair, pvp more fair, and even stop users from making more money by hacking. For example most hacked clients contain a speedmine hack which allows user to mine much faster than normal and retrieve ores faster. This will help ECC's economy!

Additional information: This is the same concept as having a mod pm a user to screenshot their screen, but this way is much easier, and completely foolproof. There is no uploading of images. I think this suggestion is foolproof, simple, and effective. But, there is one flaw. Instead of saying .hacktest in global like normal, users
    can type &7.hacktest and &7 is not recognized so .hacktest will be said,
    (I think. I tried it myself and it worked, but it may not work for hackers) I think that it may still not be possible for people with hacked clients, because I don't think they can say a "." To start off their sentence in chat, at all. We will have to test this.

Example!!!

• Huzuni is the most popular hacked client used today. Nodus is basically ancient and not as advanced as huzuni... 65-70% of hackers use huzuni for it's massively decreased lag. Minimal-no glitches/bugs. Easy to understand. Quick navigation. Instant keybinds. ETC... It's rated #1 by the best hacked client download website there is. <mod edit>

• Huzuni rating here. (video by wizardhax) It is rated #1.
    <mod edit>

SCENARIO 1: Lets describe my new theory. #1 PlayerZ is a person that is constantly killing me in sg and pvp, and doesn't kit in sg, nor does he have high mcmmo stats in pvp. I tell a moderator about PlayerZ. The mod then engages in a conversation with PlayerZ, teleports to him, then pms PlayerZ the message to say .hacktest in LOCAL chat! (This makes the identification method mostly private, unless he is at spawn. Also if he is in sg or in pvp, the mod could possibly kick him out of sg if its possible, or if hes in pvp the mod could just tpa to him and do it in the arena.

• That method will make it more private!

• Lets say &7 and /ch qm were blocked (temp or perm blocked. or possibly only blocked for that user?) or removed. Would scenario 1 now work?
    Possible errors in scenario 1:

• PlayerZ is afk Solution: Mod should make sure they are engaged in a conversation.
      • PlayerZ has a moderator ignored. Solution: Mod could temporary disable their /ignore? Why would player ignore mod? (hack alert)
      • PlayerZ disconnects from the server. Solution: If user disconnects directly after receiving message... (hack alert[player needs to log to turn off hacks]) That could be worth of a ban.
    An alternative: PlayerZ doesn't have to be banned on the spot for failing to type ".hacktest" in /ch local. The mod or any other users could screenshot the user failing to do so, and the failed ".hacktest" could be used as additional evidence in a later complaint.

Thanks,
    Zecrux

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    #1 Zecrux, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
  2. Monkeyz505

Monkeyz505 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +512
    Ehh... Standing on the fence. I see pros and cons, not sure if it'd be worth the possible bans to someone who doesn't know what's happening. The 2nd one appeals to my liking more than the first, mainly because option two does not require the attention of the entire community.

#2 Monkeyz505, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  3. SubaruIsBestBoo

Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +373
    This is funny...you know...coming from you.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. Zecrux

Zecrux Builder

Ratings:
    +74
    @NAVYSEALS2000 this thread is only for discussing this suggestion. Please refrain from making unnecessary comments.

5. SubaruIsBestBoo

Ratings:
    +373
    So you know how hacked clients work? lol.

6. Monkeyz505

Monkeyz505 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +512
    Yes, and I do too. Doesn't mean I hack, just means I've done research to SPOT hackers.

#6 Monkeyz505, May 7, 2014
  7. SubaruIsBestBoo

Ratings:
    +373
    Like zec.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Monkeyz505

Monkeyz505 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +512
    Yes, I'd assume, he's looked this up as well.

9. SubaruIsBestBoo

Ratings:
    +373
    "Looked it up". On his own client, you mean.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Zecrux

Zecrux Builder

Ratings:
    +74
    @NAVYSEALS2000 I don't have a hacked client. I found this out on another server then researched it even more online. Tell me, why would I make this suggestion if I hacked myself? All I would be doing is making it easier for mods to ban me -_-. Some people just don't think... Well please refrain from posting... This thread is only for opinions on the suggestion. Thanks.

11. Monkeyz505

Monkeyz505 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +512
    Forum message me a link to any screen shots of him having a client. I'm not sure where you're coming from.

#11 Monkeyz505, May 7, 2014
  12. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    As for the global broadcast... just no.

Having a plugin to automatically ban people is just asking for trouble, and I as a staff member do not want to spend days looking through /list and banning everyone whose message I didn't see. There's going to be people who don't see the message, are afk, etc. This system would cause too many wrongful bans either way.

As for the /pm idea... it would be problematic.

People could just say they had the staff member /ignore'd, didn't see the message, they crashed, etc.

If you think someone is hacking, record them, collect good evidence, and file a complaint.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. SubaruIsBestBoo

Ratings:
    +373
    http://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/ban-appeal.89350/
    http://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/ban-appeal.89202/
    http://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/user-complaint-zecrux.86450/#post-426520
    http://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/ban-appeal.83884/
    Had to go through 8 pages @Monkeyz505

#13 SubaruIsBestBoo, May 7, 2014
  14. XxDiamondxBackxX

Ratings:
    +14
    I personally am fine at typing but some users may not be able to type fast enough or respond in time (varying in age) to this test however the concept is great and if there is a workable way then by all means

15. Zecrux

Zecrux Builder

Ratings:
    +74
    I'm sorry but I disagree with you about the pm one. Honestly, what are the chances of someone crashing at the exact moment they receive the message? And if the person logs out after they receive the message, that deserves a ban. Also, why would they have a staff member ignored? In addition, the message could be sent multiple times in a row by the mod, so the person doesn't just "not see it". Finally, the mod could start a conversation with the user first, and in the middle of the conversation, ask them to say in global ".whatever". Many people on ECC would have no problem spending an extra minute to clear ECC of a hacker.

Hope you understand,
    Zecrux

16. alpert3925

alpert3925 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,086
    Maybe you know this is going to get denied, and you want people to think you aren't hacking by making this suggestion to catch hackers...:cool:

as for the actual suggestion, I don't want to get banned for being AFK

17. Zecrux

Zecrux Builder

Ratings:
    +74
  18. Zecrux

Zecrux Builder

Ratings:
    +74
    Alpert. My first proposal will most likely not even be considered, because it is too problematic.
    Please read my second proposal, and rephrase your comment.

19. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Why don't you just get a video, also, what if they just had to go, or they were BETTER than you.

20. SubaruIsBestBoo

Ratings:
    +373
    1. Not really. And 2. a suggestion like this has already been suggested, but it won't ever happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.