Stock Market Idea

Discussion in 'Economy & Market' started by JazzBeam, Sep 15, 2013.

?

Do you want a Stock Market for EcoCityCraft?

1. No, I don't want to have a stock market here

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. This is a good idea

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

Ratings:
    +151
    I think we should have a stock market where players can buy and sell shares of towns and companies existing in ECC,(not real life). If you guys, the EcocityCraft public, thinks this idea should be done, I will post another thread for the official description of the Stock Market.
    Now I will explain my idea, a rough draft that can be applied changes to.If you don't know how the real life stock market works, look it up. I will accept questions and comments and even criticism, i will accept those all politely.

In this Stock Market, players can buy stocks and sell them. This Stock Market works exactly like one in real life. ( Players can buy shares of ECC companies. )Except the fact that players can also buy shares of the profit made by mayor's towns. (selling plots) . How that works is like this, players give a mayor money to build things that will attract players to buy plots and live in his town, if the players think they can earn their money back and receive extra money as profit. Players will look at the description of what the mayors will do with that money. And if they think investing in the town is a good idea, they will buy a share. and the mayors repay their investors anyway they want. but they have to repay them a sum of money daily, weekly, or monthly, or whatever. When players invest in companies or towns, they get to keep a share of the companies profits forever, until the player wants to cancel it. If players cancel it, they have to return their money they got from the company or town, and the player get his money back that was used for buying a share of the town or company. If the company or town is not selling anymore shares, players that own the shares can sell the shares to other players that value the shares more. The players that sold the shares to other players can earn profit that way too. Like buying the share in the first place for 5k, and selling it to another person for 10k. All these stuff is allowed.

When mayors or company owners want to sell shares of their town or company, they make a description of their town or company and what they are going to do with the investor's money. If the description attracts investors, they might buy a share. And the companies or towns will receive the money. and the company owners or mayors will have to repay that money eventually.

To reduce risk from investing, players can have the option to buy stocks from organizations or individual towns and companies.

Organizations are groups of towns and companies. When investors buy a share of an organization, they are giving money to all the companies and towns that make up the organization. And will receive money back from all of the companies and towns that make up the organization.Which companies and towns that make up which organizations are decided by the towns and companies themselves.

Individual Companies and Towns are companies and towns that stand alone, and are not part of organizations. Investing in individual towns and companies is risky because if the owner of the company or the mayor of the town makes a big mistake and ruins everything, the profits will drop and investors will be sad face. and investors lose money. and might be angry.
    But if investors buy a share of an organization, it is not risky. Because if one company or town that is part of the organization fails and loses money, the stock price and the income from investing won't change that much because there are still a bunch of other companies making money.

There. This is my idea.

2. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder

Ratings:
    +151
    any replies?

3. Emau

Emau Anti-PVP Miner
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +695
    While I found the idea creative and imaginative, I do not think it would work.

There is no accountability. And by this I mean, if a town has investors and the mayor decides not to pay out, there are too many ways the mayor could avoid it. I won't list them all, but I just think there would be more "scam" complaints than payouts.

Sry if it wasn't the reply you wanted. I tried not to post yesterday when you wrote it, I was hoping someone else would mention it. I hate being negative with such a well thought out post.

4. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder

Ratings:
    +151
    if a mayor scams the investors, the investors themselves can easily report that. wouldn't they?
    without any negative thoughts about my idea, i wouldn't know what is wrong. I need to know why my idea would go wrong, to know this, i have to listen to people who will criticize and say negative stuff. Its like getting advice the unpolite way. But most efficient.

5. Emau

Emau Anti-PVP Miner

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +695
    What I mean by no accountability is: You want to invest in my town. I promise to give you 10% of all the profits off of plots I sell. You give me $10,000 for the 10%. I take your payment and sell 3 plots for $100 each on day one. I give you the $30 bucks I owe you and then don't sell a plot for 2 weeks. You decide you want to get your money back since you aren't getting it fast enough. I've already spent the money on the town, getting those plots up to 'code'. Are you going to file a complaint because I used the money how I said I was going to use it?

There are just so many ways this could go wrong, and that is just one exaggerated example.

In a "stock market" when people 'cash out', they cahs out for a higher or lower value. I don't see how the 'value' of the "stock" ever decreases in your proposal. In your propsal, the investor has no "risk", since they can get their full money back at any time they feel like.

I just have a feeling that many of the "investors" are not going to like how their money is being used, or not feel they got enough value for their money.

The rich don't need the investors, the middle/poorer ones do. And it is just those people that would have the hardest time paying it back once spent.

These are just some thoughts. I'm not good at explaining things in posts usually. It is a lot easier over the phone or in person.. lol. I get the concept of your idea, I just can't see it on a large scale. It would work for a handful of towns, but I don't think it would work larger than that.

6. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder

Ratings:
    +151
    hmmm, but the stock value can decrease if investors value the stock less because maybe the investors think investing in the town is bad idea, or they don't like the mayor or the leadership of the company owner.
    For example, if i buy a share from a company, and then the company starts to become inactive and the manager of it has poor leadership, then nobody will want to buy more stocks from that company. So then i won't be able to sell that stock to anyone else, since the public noticed the company is bad in the end. That is how the stock value can decrease.

7. Emau

Emau Anti-PVP Miner

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +695
    Ah, but in a stock market, when the 'stock' is cashed in, you get whatever the stock is worth at that time. In your proposal, the stockholder always gets full value of what the stock was bought for (from the mayor). So , technically, the price of that stock didn't drop.

8. seawiiplay

seawiiplay Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +43
    I really like this Idea but I don't think the server should run it. I think players should. I have seen many failed attempts but will soon make an actual Stock Market once I have more time/flexibility with my life. Keep your eyes pealed. I already have over 30 people who think its a great Idea.

9. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder

Ratings:
    +151
    so you are gonna use this idea? when?

10. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder

Ratings:
    +151
    do you want me to edit my proposal?
    or is it fine?

11. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder

Ratings:
    +151
    you had this idea before, and it went away and you forgot about it probably, and now you see another proposal for a stock market but this one proposal is much more well set up and well thought. and now are you gonna run a stock exchange center? now that the thought came back to you?
    Its alright, this thing isn't copyrighted!

12. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder

Ratings:
    +151
    oops, i didn't finish and i accidentally did something that submitted the reply. I meant to add:
    as long as you can include me to help run the stock market or something. I want to be a part of a revolution and stuff like that. Since you probably have hundreds of thousands, you can easily start running your stock exchange thing. Go ahead, you go do it. I don't have much money, just a few thousands. so i cannot start this thing immediately. I don't know what the funding can be for. i have no money really. :(

13. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder

Ratings:
    +151
    I wish i could start running a stock exchange hub right now. But we need to first start debating about this proposal.

14. Emau

Emau Anti-PVP Miner

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +695
    I had read your idea yesterday and had my reservations. I didn't post because I understand I can be more "negative" or critical of suggestions than most on here. I was hoping to hear more from the community. When no one responded and you asked again for replies, I figured I would throw my 2 cents in.

I think there is an undercurrent in the community that is practically begging for some kind of stock market. I think this is evident with all the 'investment' type business that have been popping up these past few weeks/months. I haven't played long enough to know if this is a cyclical thing or something new.

IMHO, your idea isn't the answer. I can't put it into words at the moment why. But I don't want to stand in your way of proposing it. The worst thing that can happen is it doesn't work and we are right back to where we are now.

So please do not use my 'talking points' as discouragement. I only posted because no one else did. :p

Be patient for a few more days and see if you get any bites. There may be other view points we haven't considered.

#14 Emau, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  15. seawiiplay

seawiiplay Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +43
    I had this Idea way before any suggestions where made. It cannot be copyrighted and has been attempted before. I have seen this fail many times and think I know a way to make it work. Although I will not need your help directly (both for work and just security issues) You will be welcome to open up a company or invest in others just like everybody else. This will take awhile to open up though as I am very busy at this time in my life and cannot run a Stock Market.

16. RealNick123

RealNick123 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +49
    Alright... For all people that want to start a Stock exchange. There are many reasons why it won't work as presented here and also on many other threads. There is ways to do something similar and it could work, but I will not disclose that info. Back to my main points. First, to be negative but completely true, ECC is not big enough to start one. What I mean is that ECC, and all other MC servers are not complex enough to hold such a complex system. The real life stock market is very complex, it has many aspects that affect it and many ways to interpret it and play it. Based off personal experience I can tell you that know one is 100% correct in the stock market, not even warren Buffet. The simple reality is that you cannot create such a complex system with such a non complex game.

For example, say I decided to do what is being proposed. I create my own Nicks Stock Market! The fact is that there is no company on ECC that will last for ever... Owners become inactive, and this changes how many company stocks are available. I can guarantee that no company will stay sufficiently active longer then 4 months to keep funding their investors and not crash the system. This eventually will lead to a problem when a company owner becomes inactive and does not pay his investors their stock worth. Though this might not happen every time a company becomes inactive, it will happen frequently enough to de stabilize the "stock market". Yah sure, the server might ban them, but the money is still not back to the investors. Yes, if he wants to appeal he will pay it all back, but honestly, when does a player actually pay back everyone he has scammed? Almost never.

Now, people could argue that you could make the ECC stock market less complex and there fore manageable, but when you do that you destroy the whole point of a stock market. A system that has lasted for so long because of all its possible outcomes and situations. If you tried to make a smaller system on ECC of the stock market, it will eventually collapse. When the stock market staff all becomes inactive it will definitely collapse. This has been the downfall for many other failed attempts. How can you create a self sufficient stock market in ECC with such a simple system? You cannot. The limited things that happen in ECC and the ways to make money can only support so much, and for a stock market it will not support it.

Again, when will a company last more then a 1/2 of a year in a state of activeness to keep the stock market running? Never. After all, the stock market is run off companies going public, so if there is few un sustainable companies as the only options it will not work out.

Now you could try an approach such as a company hosting its own shares, and having no need for a official hub of stocks, but again, this will collapse after the owner leaves... Even if he passes the company on, I can assure you that 90 % of the time, the company will collapse or will do very badly.

In conclusion, it will not work as presented. I know how, but will not disclose this info. ECC is simply not complex enough to hold such a complex system and never will. After all, even if Andrew did decide to make ECC more complex, there is only so far you can go because again. We are in a game of mine craft. Mine craft cannot yet simulate real life 100 %.

This is my argument, and I hope you heed my warning that you are wasting your time with this lay out of planning. Unless you decide to change how you plan to run the ECC stock market, it will never work. That is all, my gods this is long.

RealNick123

17. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder

Ratings:
    +151
    this isn't going to be a cheesy wanna-be-stock-market. Running and managing a stock exchange program isn't a profiting and highly charged corporation for this proposal. The name won't be something like ''John's Stock Market Company'' or ''Epic Stock Exchange''. I wouldn't come up with these kinds of weak and poor titles.
    also, im a 12 year old. And I don't need an extra long essay that explains something very simple. Your message basically could have said that the stock market idea is bad and companies and towns can become inactive and investors won't be happy. and the fact that an ECC Stock Market seems to you, too complicated to run.

Its okay, a Stock Market may be extremely complex and needs many components, but no matter how complicated and how much planning is needed, it still can be done. You treat this proposal like a an attempt that will surely fail and is against wiseness. But you cannot think about the problems like there is surely no solution to them.

18. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder

Ratings:
    +151
    Tell me a Way that You Think Could make it Work. I am Open To Ideas.

19. JazzBeam

JazzBeam Builder

Ratings:
    +151
    The worst thing that could ever happen is if you don't tell me what is wrong with my dhmn proposal. And you don't tell me because you didn't want to discourage me or make me give up on chasing my dreams. You should tell me what is wrong with my proposal so i can find a solution to the problem. That is why we need critcism in society from time to time. -_-

20. Emau

Emau Anti-PVP Miner

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +695
    OK, let me tackle this from another angle. And this is just to continue the discussion to flesh out your ideas.

Besides a bannable offense, like the mayor not giving the money back when asked, is there any way an investor can lose money if they buy the shares directly from the mayor?

If "No." I'll move on to the next point.
    If "Yes." Please explain.