Denied [Main City Server Suggestion] Add more market stalls

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by EraNow, Jun 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EraNow

EraNow President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,311
    In Game Name:
    EraNow
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Main City Server
    Short title for your suggestion:
    Add more market stalls
    What are you suggesting:
    Originally I would have been against this suggestion, but the spawn market should be the strongest market on the server.

In order for that to be the case, there needs to be more stalls. The new stalls should be less valuable than the existing ones, and should exist below or something.
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    It would make the spawn market even more active and become a true trade center, rather than being dominated by just a few properly made shops.
    Other information:

Plugin or custom addition:

One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

2. FuryFudge

FuryFudge IDK ask Fury
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,325
    -1 We seem to barely be able to fill the current 10 spots with decently made shops, plus I think it should be rare to own a spawn shop.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    Need some discussion going here.
    I will read what everyone has to say next weekend and come up with a decision :)

4. samiwarbler

samiwarbler Sheep Queen
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +552
    it is quite hard to fill them. Although I want the market to be profitable, I’m not sure if more is always better in this case.

Lowering rent maybe? Then add more? I don’t know the answer but I definitely agree the /market needs to be competitive.

However I have had this conversation with a few.... no one is really building.... they’re all grinding and selling to a certain someone... there lies a bigger problem to why the /market isn’t thriving.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. SirChilledMrHobo

Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +215
    I've never owned a Market Stall in the new market, since the reset, so I couldn't give any hard numbers to how profitable a shop would/could be currently. I have however sold to plenty of times to market stalls over the year. I could average pretty well on selling dirt, stone, quartz, and glow stone to most stalls in the market. So I think that stores must be at least selling if Im able to sell to them. Now how much, I don't know again, but at least for dirt and glow stone, selling a lot. Then again those items are always in need.

I myself always buy colored blocks in the market, as I don't need to buy them in bulk from the color shop. I also some times buy ores if I need them for a project. I also nearly always see at least one builder every other time I visit the market, buying/looking for items.

Some, are going to say rent is too high at $10,000 a week, minimum $20,000 to $40,000 to rent for only a month at a time. I would say rents, not a problem, you can make $10,000 a week, even a day easily to cover operating cost to start. Some would even say you could make $15,000 in just an hour from mining, for sure even more if you spend $20,000 for the nether rank and Quartz/Glow Stone run for an hour.

Some will say others aren't building and well Minecraft is a building game. Visit /warp glowstone, BrownTown, WheatValley, Rapture2, or even Bird and you see lovely builds. Now, whether or not they bought the items from the market or gather it them selfs, there have always been two types of builders on ECC: Those who spend money to buy the materials to build and the those who saved their money and gathered it themselves. You're always going to have people who save time and spend their money on materials and have those who save their money and gather it them self for free. Me personally, I'll gather common items I.E. dirt, sandstone and such, and buy wood, ores, brick, quartz and other harder to get items for builds.

Some will say that prestige has killed the market. If you get enough of it, you can sell it for more with /sell hand then any person without it is willing to pay you for it. I mean for sure, at most a market store is ever going to pay for gold ore/ingot is $11 on average $10 or $10.50. but with prestige, you can /sell hand it for $11.25 or more. In reality, only a few players will get that much prestige, but when they do, they can then buy gold for $11.25 and then /sell hand it for more. I mean, back in the day it was frown upon to hire builders to farm wheat and sell it to a sign for $0.30 and then the farm owner would /sell hand it for $0.45. Sure maybe you couldn't keep someone once they realized they could get more when they /sold hand it, but it wasn't hard to find a builder who needed a job. Now we have a whole server market built around a few players who have high enough prestige to just buy and /sell hand items for easy profit in no time while wasting that gold, if sold to another player without prestige, who didn't /sell hand it, that gold could have come back to the player market and actually created a market. Selling an item once, then it is destroyed for profit, if dare I say, is not really a market if only two people touch it.

So now instead of Gold really being /worth $10, it's worth $11.25, but you can only get that by selling to a player outside the /warp market, who is ultimately only going to /sell hand it for profit. It's different when players sold Gold to another player back in the day for $12 because they were hoarding, trading, or building something with it most of the time, they weren't /sell hand it away, it would always somehow find its way back in to the market, either via selling a building, trading it, or DEMOS and LWC'S. But now, no one keeps ores, they sell it to players who then /sell hand it, there's no real stock, causing no true demand.

I think the current main problem with not just the market, but all stores are the stocking limit. You can only stock a chest full at a time and have to use your own 2 locks on the chest and sign. Players mayor and below without unlimited LWC will be limited on what they could sell via their locks. But worst then this, you can only stock 3,456 per section/chest. Most market stalls are only going to have one dirt chest and there for only have an inventory full of stock for sale. I would dare say that not just most mayors, but also farmers need on average way more than that, 40,000 at least to fill a level of a 200x200 town and more if your building a farm. So if at most you can stock around 3,000 dirt/whatever item, you're going to be stocking it constantly wasting time gathering in short bursts, so you're going to raise the price. Most stores have their prices at $32, $48, or $64 for a stack of common items, I.E. dirt, stone, sand. Unless you only need one or 3 stacks of dirt, $32 per stack saves you time. But if you need 40,000, you're not going to pay $32, $12 - $16 on average, at most $20 as seen in the old server. The limit in the amount you can stock, the limit to /locks being used on chest shops, is going to keep prices high no matter what.

To me, it's a shame to see some players saying "Selling in bulk 2,000 dirt", when compared to a stack, sure it's bulk, but really 10,000 and above is bulk for towns, farms, and builds. Unless you're going to set up a market stall that had 4 or 8 chests per item, you won't have space to meet the bulk and time required to sell items constantly. If I had to stock a chest of dirt every day, Id go crazy, but if I could stock 10,000 at a time, I wouldn't have to collect as much constantly, I could just do it once in bulk and wait till it sold out and it would take much more time for it to all sell-out as compared to just one player buying a whole chest of dirt in 2 minutes as with chest shops currently.

So in the end, the limit of /locks for chest shops, the amount you can stock at once in bulk, only a chest per item for most market stalls, prestige raising the prices of everything via /sell hand and creating a whole new market focus on a few, and prestige use of /sell hand is killing the total stock of items in the market, only a few chests at time of dirt/items for sale, when compared to the markets need for thousands, if not millions of dirt for towns alone, not including farms, and you will have rising selling prices in /warp market at market stalls. Therefore, most likely adding more market stalls ultimately won't change anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. EraNow

EraNow President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,311
    What are you talking about? Tell me the last time there was a shop vacant for more than 4 days.

Why should it be "rare" to own a shop? What benefit does that bring?

If you run a shop properly, you can make 80k/week in any stall. It's about dominating the general game (like mine) or hitting a niche.

Having dirt/wood/stone/brick in bulk (several chests per stall) would be a niche. If you're stocked well and your prices are good, you'll kill it.

Didn't bother reading the rest of your wall of text, sorry, time is valuable. Possibly very good insight but I don't remember you having a shop. Nothing personal just can't convey that easily over text.

#6 EraNow, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  7. EtherealSquid

EtherealSquid Former ServerAdmin
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VI ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,155
    Station7 sat vacant for weeks up until Wednesday, lol. Personally I -1 adding more stalls, namely because a) we don't need it, seeing that market shops really aren't in incredible demand and b) We don't have much more space to actually expand /warp market to underneath spawn. If we end up having a ton of people saying they want market shops, and moreover that they'll keep them active and fully stocked, maybe something to reconsider. For now, -1.

8. d_face012

d_face012 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +323
    -1 would ruin the value of owning one and station 7 was vacant for weeks. Dwite12 got it for free and he tried to sell it no one wanted it, only weeks later someone purchased it. :/

9. samiwarbler

samiwarbler Sheep Queen

Ratings:
    +552
    It’s not that they’re specifically empty constantly- but they don’t sell. When I wanted to move to a top stall I had to basically force someone to take over my small station.

And in Archive those big stations used to be a commodity worth millions and it’s simply not the case now in comparison. Add that in with the ever rotating cast in the market, this is why I say it’s hard to fill the market. Sure they’re occupied but are they really “full” look at over half of the shops there now (mine included at the moment due to busy schedule) and they’re empty, if they even meet the “requirements“ of owning a stall.

I can attest that you can easily make 100k a week by basically doing nothing, but it is also TOUGH especially once you build a customer base to keep certain things in stock. There are a multitude of reasons really why people just don’t run shops.

10. CapitanRedRoach

CapitanRedRoach Aka FrenchHornPlayer
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +282
    Sure they are selling to a certain someone, but who are they buying from or nether stars? That’s all the /market. They don’t need to sell to you for you to make money.

#10 CapitanRedRoach, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  11. Mission001

Mission001 Ex-EcoLegend HⱻặĐHůƞẗǝɍ
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $495
    Ratings:
    +6,478
    Like others have said, its hard enough to keep the shops filled as is currently. Maybe the problem isnt the amount of shops, and maybe the actual whole idea of a market when you can invest money in a warp for a town shop rather then renting a shop. Not many positives in renting over investing.

---

Not being funny but if you cant even be bothered to look at a informative comment on your own suggestion, then I hope people cant really be bothered to +1 your suggestion.

After all, time is valuable.

12. jwpwns

jwpwns ECC Sponsor
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    -1 as otheras have said its not the market size why pay rent in market that costs to much when you can just go to a warp town. Lower the cost of renting a shop i tried to rent a few times even on old server between trying to keep it stocked and the cost i always lost money.

#12 jwpwns, Jun 3, 2019
  13. SirChilledMrHobo

Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +215
    A "rare" store as I interpret it is as: "having a limited number of stores". As seen in the old server, it doesn't matter how many shops (40+) as seen, if no one is willing to rent them, they're never going to rent out. The benefit in having a smaller market, as it currently is, is that there are not as many empty stalls and when all the stalls actually rent out (10 currently), then there is new demand for someone in order to break into the market they have to buy a stall from another player. Currently, you could buy a stall from another player or you could just wait till another one gets cleared, as has been done in the past with the current market. The stalls that do rent out currently, don't seem to be staying that long anyways.

I have no doubt a market stall could make $80,000 a week, though for sure the front 4 closer to /warp market, will have an easier time making money when compared to the other 6 father away and on the sides of the market. Of course this can be offset by just advertising station numbers, but to be honest even this I don't see as much as it uses to be on the old market. I also don't think having bulk dirt/wood/stone in bulk is a niche as if you want to "dominate the general game" you will always be selling dirt/stone, so having the bulk of it will greatly improve your throughput of items. Instead of people only buying a chest full at a time, people can buy from 5 chests and actually build a farm or fill in part of a town. But again for players mayor and below and those without ultimate LWC are limited in LWCS anyways on how much they can stock/how many chest shops they can creat anyways as stated in my first post.

As stated in my first post and actually the very first line, I've never owned a market stall in the new market, so of course, you wouldn't remember me owning a store there. I have however owned a market stall in the old market before the reset, both before the player drop and after. I've also owned and ran Super Duper Mart, which was selling every item at a town /warp. I like the idea behind running stores/market stalls on ECC and it can be a very good way to make money while your offline or working on another project. I personally haven't owned a market stall or heavily operated a store since the reset because I've been working on my town and building lovely builds, but I have bought plenty of items from the market, including your market stall. Just because I haven't owned a market stall in the new market, doesn't mean the information I'm trying to provide to your suggestion isn't worth your time to read, especially seeing how it's your suggestion.

#13 SirChilledMrHobo, Jun 3, 2019
  14. a_man21

a_man21 a_manda
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Why post a suggestion if you aren't even going to read the reactions and comments on it, and even posting a rude, passive-aggressive reply? Hobo has owned a shop for a long time (albeit not a market shop but a town shop) so I think his insight into the state of the market is certainly worth a read, especially if you are the one who posted the suggestion looking for feedback.

Admittedly I haven't been on a ton recently so this may have changed but I remember several market shops sitting empty recently, so its not like there is a super high demand for shops right now, plus there isn't a ton of space down there for extra stalls. (Pretty much what Squid said). The market on Archive had more stalls, most of which were empty except for the first few rows.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. strongpelt

strongpelt ~*Alaskan Sponsor*~
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,065
    I for one prefer not having to run around to a million shops, 10 is enough to check out and browse through.
    I dont even see a real demand for market stalls either. Not unless it's one of the big ones. If someone really wants a shop its easy enough to buy one from someone.
    Back on archive I paid someone 2.5million for a market spot. If you want a market spot so badly just offer money. Money talks, and currently there are some lacking stalls already so I dont think we need to add even more spots where the owner let's it die.

16. FuriuosGeorge

FuriuosGeorge I got answers and am no longer curiuos
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +354
    I run a side shop, but the thought of stocking the new chests and the spam of sale messages makes me say naw.
    I'll stick to order filing so I see no reason for more shops.

17. samiwarbler

samiwarbler Sheep Queen

Ratings:
    +552
    FYI there is a command to turn off shop spam messages.

However I like to see that money roll in ;)

18. EtherealSquid

EtherealSquid Former ServerAdmin
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VI ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,155
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  19. FuriuosGeorge

FuriuosGeorge I got answers and am no longer curiuos
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +354
    \o/
    |
    / \

20. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    Denied based on the responses in the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.