Losing XP from mob grinder

Discussion in 'Help & Support / Errors & Bugs' started by TheReaper2319, Feb 15, 2019.

1. TheReaper2319

TheReaper2319 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +1
    TheReaper2319

When killing spiders with Bane of Arthropods 5 most XP is lost

1 get bane of arthropods 5 on a diamond sword
    2 get a stack of 10-20 spiders
    3 kill stacked cave spiders

I can reliably recreate this bug any time I use a sword with bane 5 on more than 2-3 stacked cave spiders

When you kill spiders that are stacked you still get all of the expected loot I believe but the XP is only about 1/3 of what you'd expect. Cave spiders drop 5 xp each according to the wiki but I get about 5 per 2-3 killed.

Additional notes: I believe its because when hitting a stack of entities in this plugin you do damage to an entity and if you exceed the health of one or more of that type of entity one or more die. This allows you to kill 3-4 cave spiders in one hit which is helpful but could be unaccounted for in the xp drop script. It is also possible but unlikely that sweeping edge being on my sword effected it, i dont think this is a cause do to them being stacked but is still relevant.

Edit: willing to help fix bug if needed, I have experience doing similar things programming wise

#1 TheReaper2319, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  2. TheReaper2319

TheReaper2319 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +1
    It seems a single cave spider when not in a stack killed by an unenchanted sword drops 3 XP. That explains some of the losses but not all. Wiki was probably wrong

#2 TheReaper2319, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  3. ajp79

ajp79 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +912
    No.. xp drop was adjusted a while back..

Spiders drop 3

4. TheReaper2319

TheReaper2319 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +1
    When I kill 50 spiders with Sharpness 5 I get about twice as much XP than when I kill 50 spiders with Bane of Arthropods 5 though

5. ajp79

ajp79 President

Ratings:
    +912
    Hmm. I will look into it and get back to you. Did this start with the addition of stacking?

I haven’t noticed it on my end so far. I have a spreadsheet of xp by mob that I posted a long time ago. I will do some research and see if it needs updating.

Can you post a video or screenshots showing what you are doing maybe? Maybe /xp before and after killing a stack? Need to know the stack amount as well too.

Spiders are set to 3xp as far as I know and it shouldn’t matter how they are killed as long as it’s done by the player.

6. TheReaper2319

TheReaper2319 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know when it started, I only noticed it a few days ago. I can't post screenshots of sharp 5 being used as unfortunately ive lost my sharpness 5 sword in the nether but i will have bane5 screenshots in a few mins

7. TheReaper2319

TheReaper2319 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +1
    i killed roughly 85 cave spiders

8. TheReaper2319

TheReaper2319 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +1
    and there is no chance to lose any due to mob farm losses, this one gets 100% of the xp and loot

9. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    @TheReaper2319 We have not changed anything in relation to xp drop mechanics and certain enchantments.
    As well xp drops from stacked mobs have had no changes for weeks.

Perhaps this is some sort of minecraft mechanic. I suggest adjusting the way you kill spiders so it best suits your needs.

10. ajp79

ajp79 President

Ratings:
    +912
    I believe this could be a bug with the sweep3 enchant. I’ve found that when multiple spiders or any mob that are killed with sweep3 in a stack the server only registers it as 1 kill so it drops 1xp..we confirmed this back on the first Skyblock season..for some reason you still get drops.. except with blaze apparently.

In this case 85/3-4 is roughly 22 registered kills giving you the 66xp you saw there instead of the 255 you would get killing 1 at a time. This is a known bug with the stacking plugin from what I have been told.

I would suggest using a sword without the sweep3 enchant to kill the spiders one at a time if you are looking to maximize the xp output.

Andrew if you read this I will maybe put out an update once I can confirm everything 100% so players stop wasting do on the sweep3 enchants.

11. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    I'm labeling this as not an issue.
    Please adjust your spider killing mechanics.