[Discussion] Town Showcase and Visibility

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ClarinetPhoenix, May 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,379
    Hello guys,
    I wanted to open up a discussion for some ideas from you guys as a community about potentially making towns and town builds more....visible and appreciated.

While I'm doing your town build migrations I am running into a ton of awesome looking towns. Some I didn't even know existed and it made me want to put together something to sort of bring our town builds and projects more to the light.
    We focus heavily on economy, but towns are a major part of the game as well. Towns w/ plots help players get settled, towns with intricate builds add to the beauty and prestige of ECC, market towns enhance the player-run market and general town building drives demand for some blocks in the market.

As of now I feel like the only way people make it to others towns is if the warp is advertised, you know the user or are the one building the town. I'd like to see more activity and appreciation for the effort people put into their creations.

So my discussion point here is such; What can we do to bring towns more to light, showcase them more and bring more visibility? Assuming that is what you guys would like for your town builds. Feel free to leave opinions.

I had an idea to do some sort of Hall of Fame/Town Stall showcase, perhaps with spaces that town owners can decorate with a portal leading to their town. I want to avoid doing a massive portal tower like in the past (as that is a major performance issue) but I do feel like there should be some place people can go to explore towns easily.

I am open to all ideas, I just want to get some discussion going with you guys as a community and explore what you guys might like to see and any ideas you have. You may also ask me some questions as well.

Well...have at it, I want to hear from you guys. :)

2. Pixel75

Pixel75 Lucky EcoLegend
    EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +435
    I think some sort of portal room would be nice. Do you think warp signs could be used instead to combat the lag caused by portals? #MakeTownsGreatAgain

#2 Pixel75, May 29, 2022
    Last edited: May 29, 2022
  3. Kick_Me_1235

Kick_Me_1235 Retired Mod
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,556
    Monthly town spotlights.

Users submit town applications to the spotlight by a certain time, then the community votes on which get to be in the spotlight.

Town owner gets prize (GC/ECD) and a /warp to their town from spawn so users at spawn can warp there to see their cool town.

Would bring back motivation and incentive to build dope stuff.

4. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    So, to get the elephant in the room out of the way, there is always going to be those who get pissy if there is any sort of financial reward involved with town showcases (similar to how the old Town of the Month) because of “stolen builds” and what defines that

With that being said, as one of the few people left on the server who primarily does building over everything else, a town showcase is a splendid idea!

Ideally, some sort of incentive would be good to have more people actively building stuff (like an ECD reward per town or something, maybe a lored item or forum medal), but we go back to the elephant in the room and those people who would be super against that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. SirSpuzzy

SirSpuzzy Wandering Shulker Salesman
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +242
    Giant cube floating in the middle of spawn with portals leading to each town

6. Zedoker

Zedoker ~|Huggable Ex-GameAdmin & Ex-Tomkfc Lover|~
    ECC Sponsor Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Honestly the greatest thing from back in the day was the town portal “room” (for lack of a better term). It encouraged people to just walk around towns and visit towns especially if they go unadvertised or just simply are there. I dont remember what it cost to have a portal, but making the portal cheap would have more town visibility.
    In addition, i dont remember what it was like, but if we do a similar layout where it was a cube with multiple levels and 3 layers to each floor, it should be first come first serve and just filled as GA’s do the apps or whatever. I think it detracts from the point to have a bid for “1st row town portals”

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. bsqt

bsqt Head of Sports
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +337
    Not sure on the logistics or amount of work involved, but I have seen servers have a GUI with clickable /warps, potentially this is something @Videowiz92 could get involved in. If possible then there would be no reason why you couldn’t have a “town of the month” too that sits centre stage of the GUI. Could easily break warps down into categories too, farms, plots, builds etc etc

8. Karin_88

Karin_88 The Rainbow Ex-GA
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,196
    It's really weird, two day ago I was thinking about ECC while working, and I had a thought pop into my head that it'd be awesome if there was a place in spawn, a "room" of sorts, where new players could walk in, and there'd be portals to different towns, farms/plot towns/markets/etc. I absolutely think it'd be a great idea to do this.

It'd be cool if people could decorate the portals to their towns. And, to prevent there being portals to towns that have an owner that isn't as active anymore, I think the portals should change every 45 days. Why 45? It's longer than 30 days, so it'd be less of an extensive workload for the people involved to maybe have to switch the portal plot to another town when the time-frame is up, but not so long that having a portal there to an inactive town would be an issue.

I like what Zedo said, there being 3 floors and having it be first-come-first-serve for which floor/which order you'd get a portal in, and a small price tag for the portal. Another application to have available to fill out under Mayor+. I'd rather see the people who acted the quickest get the first floor, versus the people with the biggest pockets. That would show player dedication and excitement about showing off their towns.

I think it'd be really clever, and helpful/more organized, if there was a sign by each portal, explaining what kind of town it was (farm, market, plots, various/mix). This would help new and old players alike navigate the area easier and find what kind of town they want to visit. There could even be a spot on the application for the player to list what kind their town is.

All of this would get people a little more excited about putting the effort into building (or finishing) their towns. This is actually why the thought popped into my head the other day.

As far as a reward of sorts like others were mentioning, I don't think that's necessary. If people really want players visiting their towns, having the portal to their town at spawn would be reward enough. The portal area also brings another way of advertising towns; a super easy way.

So, long story short, I'm down for this idea. :) Though I will say, if a warp sign would help with lag, like Pixel mentioned, then that would be a much better idea than a portal itself. That would still give the player a small area to decorate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    #8 Karin_88, May 30, 2022
    Last edited: May 30, 2022
  9. rh2wilson

rh2wilson Tycoon
    Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +91
    I like the idea of a central area with a small space (maybe 10x10?) that's customizable by each Mayor to advertise their town. Events has a lot of cool spaces that could be used for this. It doesn't have to be at spawn.

I also agree with the idea of there being a nominal fee and application process to weed out the half-hearted efforts. The sign idea is also a good one. Like a lift sign, only it takes you to a defined destination, rather than up/down. Not sure what's possible in this regard.

+1 from me.

No prizes though. That requires voting/judging and everybody that doesn't win feels like they lost. Besides we need money out of the economy, not in. :)

#9 rh2wilson, May 30, 2022
  10. Lopporit

Lopporit Shiny SA
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ Server Admin EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Prestige ⭐⭐ XI ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Team

Ratings:
    +966
    One thing we have now that wasn't around when the portal room existed is the tele-pads that Clar uses, like at the pokemon hunt and her maze events. A "portal room" could be created again that uses these instead of the portals and maybe there would be less lag. I bring this up because at least a few people seem to like the concept of the old-school portal room but acknowledge the downside of how ridiculously laggy it was.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  11. SirSpuzzy

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +242
    Might i also add stupidly ugly; if you use these "tele-pads" the warp owner could then decorate said area for the pad if desired

12. Karin_88

Karin_88 The Rainbow Ex-GA
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,196
    My tired brain late last night got these confused with warp signs. The "tele-pad" would be the best option!

#12 Karin_88, May 30, 2022
  13. EraNow

EraNow President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,311
    We used to have a spawn-town portal building. It was quite fun to hop around in that and explore new towns at random.

14. EraNow

EraNow President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,311
    Could put it under ground

15. SirSpuzzy

Ratings:
    +242
    Why miss the opportunity to bring back the giant eye sore

16. zjkhan

zjkhan Arridian Emperor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $917,943
    Ratings:
    +654
    How about 2-3 towns monthly get chosen to be showcased, in a centralized section at spawn we have kinda large portals going to the selected towns, and a prize could be a forum medal

17. Zedoker

Ratings:
    +2,311
    I see a lot of the town spotlights and stuff like that, the one fear that I have is that after the initial excitement around it, it might be forgotten entirely. I like the idea of maybe creating a larger portal room and allowing people to decorate their portal area or something like that. Nothing big, maybe a 5x5 area in front of the portal. To prevent any towns from just being there with inactive owners, maybe once a year do something like an lwc cleanup where a GA goes ahead and checks the /seen date on the town's official owner to see if they are inactive and then clean up the area.

18. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,379
    Hey, I haven't been ignoring you all. I have been working on a couple of concepts and ideas as I read your discussions.

You all seem to be in agreement that the portal room was a great thing, it was removed because of the performance issues it caused and at the time we have no means of replacement and simply awarded each town that had a Spawn-Town Portal with a free warp.
    My current plan is actually to bring back to "portal room" concept. But we will not be using portals.
    We can use Warp Signs, they require simply one sign, it takes 2 seconds to set up and any user can right click the sign and teleport to the warp position in your town. It will require a warp in your town prior to apply for this but I doubt it is much of a barrier.

My current thoughts based on your discussions:
    1 10x10 stall per town, the official owner will be added to it and they may add other owners.
    • Owners can decorate the stall as they see fit - within rules ofc.
    • There may be some minor building restrictions similar to the market to reduce lag on clients.
    • Keep in mind that perms to the stall also means access to any of the TC flags. Possibilities for customization are expansive.
    Town Organization:
    • Towns should probably be organized by town-type, with several floors dedicated to a specific town type.
      • Town Types will be Plot Towns, Market/Shop Towns, Farm Towns and Epic Builds, user would indicate their town type upon application.
      • Each floor will have its own warp and region and be dedicated to one type of town.
    Stall Allocation:
    • First come first serve, this is the most "fair" way to go about it.
      • I like the idea of community voting and rotating featured towns and I still have some ideas for that but I feel like this feature, where we are aiming to raise visibility of all towns this should be open to everyone to purchase. I do not like the idea of determining which towns are "worthy" of visibility feature.
    Activity Requirements:
    • I am currently not of a mind to implement any, especially if the towns are split up into sections. If they were all mashed together then I could see a need, but with towns sectioned off into each of type I think not requiring activity is the best bet. I say this because we have to think about what activity requirements actually mean. Lets say we do put an activity requirement on say farmtowns and plottowns, this does not guarantee the town is being actively managed even if the user is online a lot. Nor will I ask myself or the GA team to monitor and enforce town management. Users have always been in charge of that and it feels wrong to stipulate activity in that way. I also believe that if we did move forward with the Epic Builds class - I don't believe should have activity requirements, what stops users from classing their town as an "Epic Build" to get around activity requirements. These are just a few of the issues I've come up with requiring activity/town activity to keep a stall. This also ties back to the idea of determining which towns are "worthy" of a visibility feature which I am honestly not a fan of. This should be all-inclusive.

Here's a couple of videos of the concepts I've built up. Please note these are just concepts, in no way is anything a final product. I simply wanted to illustrate some ideas and get discussion flowing some more.

This structure supports the idea of organizing towns into different types.

Notes for concept:
    -Each floor would hold 12 stalls, stalls would be first come first serve, starting with the base /warp <towntype>
    -Notation for "stall" could be "go to /warp <towntype> and its in the 1st|2nd row.
    -Town stalls are 10x10, with 10 blocks of building space (inclusive of the 1 space into the floor)
    -Each floor will have greetings to indicate which floor the user is on, instructions for moving to other floors, as well as exit messages to indicate how to get back.
    -Each floor will also contain more warp signs on the 4 sides to ease navigation to the other floors/town types.

The other option I did a mockup for is to go with the old mashed up together concept of just having all towns in once place:

Notes for concept:
    -Each floor would hold 68 stalls.
    -There would be no distinction between town types.
    -This brings back a bit of the old notation where you told user where your town was in the portal room i.e "Town Portal (Towns 5, Gold Row)"
    -Town stalls are 10x10, with 10 blocks of building space (inclusive of the 1 space into the floor)
    -Each floor will have greetings to indicate which floor the user is on, instructions for moving to other floors, as well as exit messages to indicate how to get back.
    -Each floor will also contain more warp signs on the 4 sides to ease navigation to the other floors

I'm also working with @Videowiz92 on a travel GUI for town warps into a similar sections for users to view and explore. His original idea was to include all town warps, but that would require us to go around and ask users to determine what their town type is for us to organize it.
    I'm more inclined to include warps in the GUI that also have stalls (as this would also take care of the town-type indication), but the GUI would only be updated monthly rather than after each application. We're still hashing how ideas here. But thoughts would be appreciated.

Just keep in mind nothing here is finalized. I'm merely hashing out my thoughts and ideas and putting them up for discussion.
    Still open for more thoughts, let me know what you think here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Happy Happy x 1
    • List
  19. TJanicki

TJanicki /warp monaco
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +162
    I love the sectioned floors concept, looking forward to seeing other people's builds!

20. Zedoker

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Would it potentially be better to have a 5x5 area or maybe a 7x7? It is just a singular sign that can be centered into an odd-numbered space, but i feel as though a 10x10 may be too big for just a warp sign and decoration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.