[Discussion] How can we make building/town creating more worthwhile to a Modern ECC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jdawger, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    Building and town creation has been on the decline for a while now, even before Magic Tools etc. were introduced. There have been a few ideas that were implemented, then scrapped (ex. Town of the Month Prestige), and ideas that were suggested, but denied (ex. Plot Town Incentive), but nothing really helped; really, the most popular towns these days are farms. I personally miss the day where many people loved to build amazing builds, and people would kill to live there (Lancaster came to mind right away).

Now the question I want to discuss with the community: How can we make building and town creation popular again in a Modern ECC where over half of the active server cares more about magic tools and hoarding ECD than building?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #1 Jdawger, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  2. NessXXIII

NessXXIII Pushing the Envelope
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VIII ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +568
    Legit if the community didn’t give people a hard time for buying lots of towns, I feel like that would be a start in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thonk Thonk x 1
    • List
  3. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    The short answer is "make it profitable".

How do you get there? I don't know.

The nonsense with the Town of the Month prestige showed that the community (or at least outspoken members) is not interested in rewarding builds that are "copied" from somewhere else. To me that's pretty crazy, but whatever.

Given that that effectively limits builds to a small subset of builders I can't see a huge motivation to deal.

(not to mention the various changes throughout the years have created less incentive for player to player property trades)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. Jdawger

ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    Yeah, probability is what I was thinking as well, which was dying before magic tools, and killed when they became more mainstream. I'm sure there are a larger group of "builders" than you think, just silenced or on hiatus. I'm just hoping for some good input here so we as a community can come up with a good suggestion to possibly make it better.

And imo, Town of the Month Prestige is kind of less of an impact these days if reimplemented because of magic armor, but I digress

• Like Like x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  5. NessXXIII

Ratings:
    +568
    I believe introducing more tools or items that are oriented around building or collection of materials would help make builds more of a reality.

Lowering the cost of towns, increasing town claim sizes.

A huge deterrent in people buying towns is how tedious it is plotting them out.

Step one is to get people to buy towns.
    Step two is to get people to build in them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #5 NessXXIII, Feb 19, 2021
  6. yandyyyy

yandyyyy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +212
    Maybe also adding more blocks to /warp blockshop to help encourage diversity with what materials are used

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  7. techy88

techy88 Tech-savvy Nub
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +262
    Another issue I see is that some primary building matierials(such as quartz) are so expensive they are unrealistic for some to use. Only players that have magic tools and a decent income stream can afford these matierials in large quantities needed for builds.

#7 techy88, Feb 19, 2021
  8. Ishanv

Ishanv King of Trivia
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +176
    Yea Techy I definitely agree with that bc things like quartz and other blocks that look nice to build with are usually so expensive ppl that like building but are poorer cannot build and usually the richer ppl dont like to build as much so the money usually goes towards more grinding rather than builds.

9. NessXXIII

Ratings:
    +568
    i mean its free in the nether

10. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,271
    I'm not disagreeing, but if you have /fly in the nether, quartz is super easy to obtain

11. oxwood2

oxwood2 Builder
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Revert the town ownership rules implemented a few years back. There used to be a sizable market for towns, now it doesn't exist. Also make it profitable. Plots used to be a decent way to make money. When I joined, you had to work to even afford a plot in a town, let alone decent tools. Despite that, ECC was at its peak in 2013-mid 2014. It was not unusual to see 300 players online at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  12. techy88

techy88 Tech-savvy Nub
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +262
    When the fly feature costs $60($17.92 at our best sale.) and the ECD/USD market is 150K ECD+ per usd. this makes it near impossible for new players to obtain features like this. Which again brings it back to the problem of quartz is too expensive and hard to obtain for your average user.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. NessXXIII

Ratings:
    +568
    Fly is absolutely not necessary for quartz collection as it is all in the ground. All you need is an eff5 pick and fire resistance potions

Quartz is without a doubt one of the easiest things in Minecraft to obtain an abundance of.

I know this because of years of experience with vanilla Minecraft, not to mention I do this every week in vmr.

#13 NessXXIII, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  14. Pixel75

Pixel75 Lucky EcoLegend
    EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +435
    Fly does make it quite a bit easier though when most of the quartz is gone near the spawn. Then players without fly have to walk farther out from spawn to obtain it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  15. NessXXIII

Ratings:
    +568
    I mean fly makes an easy task even easier, that doesn’t make the task any harder to begin with.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  16. jassimq

jassimq Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +307
    Plots are given out rather than sold that's how much land is available.
    You have to bring in fresh blood so that people that like to build will be incentivized to create homes and plots and have mini farms for the new blood and a shop.
    + Maybe monthly building contests? Doesn't always have to be the best town it can be the best person to make a house or a Christmas tree etc

17. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    Plots have always been given out. Not to mention the fact that if you adjust the market for old legacy prices (1k 10x10 with 5k/usd feats) you're looking at 30k plots. Nobody is gonna buy a tiny plot for twice the cost of resident.

If you want people to actually live in your town, you gotta give the plots away.

18. _Mendiboi

_Mendiboi President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $36,278
    Ratings:
    +451
    I hope that you guys can figure out the town market. Building towns was my favorite part of ECC, I had amassed over 72 towns in Legacy and Rising. I joined ECC 9 years ago and I might join again for the building. I like to think there may be more builders on hiatus.

19. LaggyTryHard

LaggyTryHard ♛Exalted Builder♛
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +964
    The server by nature caters towards people who would rather gain money than anything else. The server is called *eco*citycraft haha. There are so many incentives for people to get ecd but nothing for the builders. So if you want to attract builders to the server you need to first get a group of good builders and start building something big (or many small things). Then show off those builds on public sites to attract other builders. I've done this before for other servers and its worked quite well.

Builders in general don't want to gather materials themselves nor have to pay triple-A prices to fly, so I'm not really sure if the Main server is the place for all this. I would suggest a creative server with a similar plotting system to allow people to build there instead

20. LaggyTryHard

LaggyTryHard ♛Exalted Builder♛
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +964
    should probably note that creative servers were suggested in the past but nothing has come of those suggestions. So I hate to be the negative view, but I highly doubt there will be a large "come-back" of the builders on the main servers