Auctions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Hackney_Builder, Apr 16, 2017.

?

What should happen to our auction system?

1. Keep it as it currently is. (an automatic system)

2. Use a manual auction system instead.

3. Remove the entire system and /ch auc completely.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hackney_Builder

Hackney_Builder Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +205
    Minecraft Name:
    @Hackney_Builder

Suggestion:
    That we replace the current automatic auction with the "old-style" system (everything is being said by players, no automatic announcements)

Reason:
    There are many reasons, which I wil explain here.
    • You can auction non-item things (animals, towns, shops, coords, features, chests, houses)
    • You can auction multiple things in the same auction (e.g. someone auctioning a max pick and a pumpkin axe together) without having to hold different auctions.
    • Auction sniping (bidding just before the 3 second mark) would not work, as it would just keep the auction up for longer instead of getting a bargain at 4 seconds.
    • The auction would never mysteriously break or stop working.
    • There would be a use for auction chat.
    • You wouldn't have to deal with dupe bugs.
    • Troll auctions would just peter out instead of taking up time.

Any Other Information:
    This would really fix the problems with our auction system.

Link To This Plugin/Is this a custom addition?:
    No plugins involved, you just have to remove one.

#1 Hackney_Builder, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. strongpelt

strongpelt ~*Alaskan Sponsor*~
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,065
    iirc the automatic one is currently broken. So in a sense this suggestion is kinda implemented?

3. _Sharpy

_Sharpy Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $348,740
    Ratings:
    +652
    When we had the old system, it was illegal to have two auctions happening at the same time.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Hackney_Builder

Hackney_Builder Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +205
    I have seen screenshots of old auctions which appear to have multiple auctions on at the same time.

5. _Sharpy

_Sharpy Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $348,740
    Ratings:
    +652
    I have seen screenshots of that too, one of me telling somebody about it not being allowed (though, I could have had that wrong).
    Even if multiple auctions were to be run at the same time, that would not seem to work. This (although I may have also been at fault here, I am unsure) shows:

[​IMG]
    This shows some confusion (and some nice memories of how much features used to go for).

#5 _Sharpy, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  6. 314

314 Irratioπal President, former ServerAdmin
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +4,866
    No. Just no. I am pretty certain they weren't allowed back then, parallel auctions cause far too much confusion for everyone involved.
    I'd propose a forum thread for that kind of auction, but I guess it is a valid point.
    Personally, I actually dislike that. This is mainly caused by the fact that I usually want a specific item and not a random collection of multiple items.
    As an auction sniper I actually enjoy that feature, mainly because you need to predict your opponents' bids without offering too much. However, others may disagree.
    Those two points are pretty much equivalent.
    Auction chat can be used for discussions during automated auctions. Those discussions actually happened while the auction system was active.
    I guess you have a point there.

The old system was chaotic, extremely difficult to learn for new players and caused a lot of chat messages. The auction plugin - when it actually works - organizes clean auctions (including the option to reduce chat messages without completely omitting all notifications) and it is generally easier to handle. For example, players can now use /auc info to learn about the type of item being auctioned, the item's name and amount as well as the top bid; all of this had to be asked for in chat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    And add a plethora of new ones. With a plugin all the technical details are worked out for you: the when, the where, etc.

Auction scamming or otherwise misleading auctions were a big issue, and there's really no reason to think that they wouldn't continue to be (unless auction sees its normal use before the plugin broke, which was simply 0).

Anyone remember the whole "melon, sword" debacle?? Not to mention your normal garden variety trade scamming can open back up.

you can still do troll auctions, you can actually just spam auction chat lol

animals - would probably be illegal
    towns, shops - sure I guess but would be 100% better over forum anyway
    coords - also should be illegal, way too easy to just be a scam
    features - fair I guess
    chests - was actually illegal
    houses - people buy houses in auctions?